While Cinco de Mayo celebrations won’t be happening as usual on Cherokee this year, the Cherokee Community Improvement District, Cinco De Mayo on Cherokee Street and Do314 are partnering to create a virtual celebration!
Why take Cinco virtual? The Cinco de Mayo festival means a lot to the Cherokee community. The festival provides revenue to businesses + artists and gives us a chance to show off our creativity and our culture. The goal of this virtual event is to boost morale, keep the energy and creativity of Cinco alive, and to support our local vendors and partners that make Cinco happen every year! The event will also raise funds for businesses and employees on Cherokee Street that need the support during COVID19.
Even though Cinco will look a little different this year, you can still be a part of the festival! Folks are encouraged to create short videos, 5-10 minutes in length, that highlight a piece of the festival. For example, if you were going to perform or sling drinks at Cinco this year-you can still do that! Here are some examples of how you can participate:
- A Cinco food vendor showing how they make their Cinco de Mayo tacos or elote
- A Cinco musician sharing a short performance.
- A Cinco bartender showing how they make their margarita or mojito
- A wrestler or dancer that would have performed at Cinco de Mayo showing off their moves
- A fortune teller sharing a short virtual Cinco de Mayo reading, or a face painter demonstrating their craft.
- A video message from a community member, small business or local organization for our community on Cinco de Mayo
Another Cinco tradition, the People’s Joy Parade, will also be going virtual this year! If you’d still like to be a part of the parade, you can submit a short video of you, your family, friends + pets dancing/hopping/strutting/unicycling across the screen. All of the videos will then be combined together to create one epic virtual People’s Joy Parade!
Clips can be submitted a few ways: Facebook or Instagram (don’t forget to tag @peoplesjoyparade + @cherokeestreet) or send them to email@example.com. Submissions are needed by Wednesday, April 29th!
Both events will be streamed online via Facebook on Saturday May 2nd starting at 12:00PM.